At six weeks pregnant we found out we were having twins. We were thrilled!!

At ten weeks pregnant my OB told me they were dichorionic, diamniotic twins. He decided that I did not need another ultrasound for ten more weeks. I was uncomfortable with this, but since this was my first pregnancy, I simply trusted him.

At 20 weeks 5 days pregnant, during my anatomy ultrasound, I was diagnosed with severe, Stage 3 Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Obviously, my OB was mistaken when he told me my girls were dichorionic. I had never heard of the disease and knew nothing about it. My OB could not answer any of my questions but would only say, “I’m very worried.”

We left that day thinking our girls would definitely die unless God performed a miracle and somehow saved them. The next day, I got on Google to find any information I could. I live in Houston, so I searched for doctors in this area, and immediately found the Texas Children’s Fetal Center. After looking around their website and getting some information about TTTS, I decided to call them. I spoke with Karen Moise, the RN that works with the specialists, and she explained the disease in depth to me and told me that they could see me that afternoon for an ultrasound. I was so encouraged!

I arrived, had the ultrasound, and the doctors determined that my TTTS was so severe that I needed surgery first thing the next morning. My donor baby, Noelle, had no fluid and was completely “shrink-wrapped”. My recipient baby, Eden, had 18 cm of fluid, more than twice the amount that is considered safe. Less than 48 hours after receiving the diagnosis I was in surgery to have the TTTS corrected. Drs. Moise and Johnson performed laser ablation surgery and drained 2.5 liters of excess fluid. I was 21 weeks exactly. After that, my pregnancy continued uneventfully until I reached 33 weeks 1 day and the doctors decided it was time to deliver after both babies failed their Non-Stress Tests. On May 27, 2011 Eden and Noelle were born at 4 lbs 13 oz and 3 lbs exactly. Eden spent 18 days in the NICU and Noelle spent 33 days in the NICU, both as feeders and growers, with no other health issues. They are now home and perfectly healthy and happy!

If it were not for the quick action and care from the team of doctors at Texas Children’s, my girls would certainly not be here today. I now know how very important it is for mothers to educate themselves about their pregnancy and all the possible risks involved. And it is so important for them to receive care from doctors that are well-educated and that they are comfortable with.

I am forever grateful for the doctors at Texas Children’s for saving my little girls’ lives.